An assurance to quality education
Last Updated: July 2017
Your privacy is important to us. This privacy statement explains what personal data we collect from you and how we use it. We encourage you to read the summaries below and to click on "Learn More" if you'd like more information on a particular topic.
The product-specific details sections provide additional information relevant to particular EZ-School products. This statement applies to the EZ-School products listed below, as well as other EZ-School products that display this statement. References to EZ-School products in this statement include EZ-School services, websites, apps, and software.
We collect data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our products. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you interact with our apps and products, submit a search query to us or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our products by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device. We also obtain data from third parties.
EZ-School collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our products. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you interact with our apps and products, submit a search query to us or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our products by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device.
We also obtain data from third parties. For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customise certain products to your location.
You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a product or feature, you may not be able to use that product or feature.
The data we collect depends on the products and features you use, and can include the following:
Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number and other similar contact data.
Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints and similar security information used for authentication and account access to use our PRODUCTS only.
Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country and preferred language.
Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.
Usage data. We collect data about how you and your device interact with EZ-School and our products. For example, we collect:
- Product use data. We collect data about the features you use, the items you purchase and the web pages you visit. This data includes your voice and text interactions with our products.
- Device data. We collect data about your device and the network you use to connect to our products. It includes data about the operating systems. It also includes IP address, device identifiers (such as the IMEI number for phones), regional and language settings.
- Error reports and performance data. We collect data about the performance of the products and any problems you experience with them. This data helps us to diagnose problems in the products you use, and to improve our products and provide solutions. Depending on your product and settings, error reports can include data such as the type or severity of the problem, details of the software or hardware related to an error, contents of files you were using when an error occurred and data about other software on your device.
- Support Data. When you engage EZ-School for support, we collect data about you and your hardware, software and other details related to the support incident. Such data includes contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with EZ-School support, data about the condition of the machine and the application when the fault occurred and during diagnostics, and system and registry data about software installations and hardware configurations.
Interests and favourites. We collect data about your interests and favourites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app or the favourite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favourites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.
Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a EZ-School product to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organisations.
Location data. We collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Position System (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and WiFi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based products or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postcode level.
Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the products you use.
We also collect the content of messages you send to us, such as feedback and product reviews you write, or questions and information you provide for customer support. When you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded.
EZ-School uses the data we collect to provide you the products we offer, which includes using data to improve and personalise your experiences. We also may use the data to communicate with you, for example, informing you about your account, security updates and product information. And we use data to help show more relevant ads, whether in our own products, or in products offered by third parties. However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.
EZ-School uses the data we collect for three basic purposes, described in more detail below: (1) to operate our business and provide (including improving and personalising) the products we offer, (2) to send communications, including promotional communications and (3) for some products, to show advertising.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalised experience. However, to enhance privacy, we have built in technological and procedural safeguards designed to prevent certain data combinations. For example, we store data we collect from you when you are unauthenticated (not signed in) separately from any account information that directly identifies you, such as your name, email address or phone number.
Providing and improving our products. We use data to provide and improve the products we offer and perform essential business operations. This includes operating the products, maintaining and improving the performance of the products, including developing new features, research and providing customer support. Examples of such uses include the following.
- Providing the Products. We use data to carry out your transactions with us and to provide our products to you. Often, those products include personalised features and recommendations that enhance your productivity and enjoyment, and tailor your product experiences based on your activities, interests and location.
- Customer support. We use data to diagnose product problems and provide other customer care and support services.
- Product Improvement. We use data to continually improve our products, including adding new features or capabilities, such as using error reports to improve security features, using search queries to improve the relevancy of the search results, using usage data to determine what new features to prioritise.
- Security, Safety and Dispute Resolution. We use data to protect the security and safety of our products and our customers, to detect and prevent fraud, to confirm the validity of software licences, to resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
- Business Operations. We use data to develop aggregate analysis and business intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions and report on the performance of our business.
Communications. We use data we collect to deliver and personalise our communications with you. For example, we may contact you by email or other means to inform you when a subscription is ending, let you know when security updates are available, remind you about items left in your online shopping cart, update you or inquire about a service or repair request, invite you to participate in a survey or tell you that you need to take action to keep your account active. Additionally, you can sign up for email subscriptions and choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from us by email, SMS, post and telephone. For information about managing email subscriptions and promotional communications, please visit the Access and Controls section of this privacy statement.
Advertising. Many of our products are supported by advertising. We use the data we collect to help select some of the ads you see in our products. We partner with third parties such as Google, Microsoft and other advertising companies to select and deliver display ads to our sites and apps, as well as other sites and apps serviced by these partners. The ads we select may be based on your current location, search query or the content you are viewing. Other ads are targeted based on your likely interests or other information that we learn about you over time using demographic data, search queries, interests and favourites, usage data from our own sites and apps and the sites and apps of our advertisers and partners and location data - which we refer to as "interest-based advertising" in this statement. EZ-School does not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you. More information about advertising controls is available in the Access and Controls section of this privacy statement. Further details regarding our advertising-related uses of data include:
- Advertising Industry Best Practices and Commitments. We adhere to the following self-regulatory programmes:
- In the US: Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)
- In Europe: European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA)
- In Canada: Ad Choices: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) / Choix de Pub: l'Alliance de la publicité numérique du Canada (DAAC)
- Health-Related Ad Targeting. In the United States, we provide interest-based advertising based on a limited number of standard, non-sensitive health-related interest categories, including allergies, arthritis, cholesterol, cold and flu, diabetes, gastrointestinal health, headache / migraine, healthy eating, healthy heart, men’s health, oral health, osteoporosis, skin health, sleep and vision / eye care. We will also target ads based on custom, non-sensitive health-related interest categories as requested by advertisers.
- Data Retention. For interest-based advertising, we retain data for no more than 13 months, unless we obtain your consent to retain the data longer.
- Data Sharing. In some cases, we share with advertising agencies reports about the data we have collected on our apps and sites. They may choose to place their web beacons on our sites in order to allow them to collect information on our sites such as activities, purchases and visits; they use this data to help target their ads.
- Data Collected by Other Advertising Companies. We sometimes include our own web beacons (or those of our advertising partners) within our advertisements that we display, enabling them to set and read their own cookie. Additionally, EZ-School partners with third-party ad companies to help provide some of our advertising services, and we also allow other third-party ad companies to display advertisements on our sites. These third parties may place cookies on your computer and collect data about your online activities across websites or online services.
You can view or edit your personal data in the app you are using. You can also make choices about our collection and use of your data. How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which products you use.
You can always choose whether you wish to receive promotional emails, SMS messages, telephone calls and postal mail from us. You can also opt out from receiving interest-based advertising from our advertising partners by visiting opt-out page of Google for our Android apps.
You can view or edit your personal data in the app for many of our apps. You can also make choices about our collection and use of your data. How you can access or control your personal data will depend on which products you use.
If you cannot access certain personal data collected by EZ-School directly through the EZ-School products you use, you can always contact EZ-School Support. We will respond to requests to access or delete your personal data within 30 days.
Your communication preferences
You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional communications from EZ-School by email, SMS, postal mail and telephone. If you receive promotional emails or SMS messages from us and would like to opt out, you can do so by following the directions in those messages. You can also make choices about the receipt of promotional email, telephone calls, and postal mail by the our app you are using which allows you to update contact information, manage contact preferences, opt out of email subscriptions and choose whether to share your contact information with our partners. These choices do not apply to mandatory service communications that are part of certain EZ-School services, or to surveys or other informational communications that have their own unsubscribe method.
Your advertising choices
You may opt out of receiving interest-based advertising from within our apps and from Google ad-services. Because the data used for interest-based advertising is also used for other necessary purposes (including providing our products, analytics and fraud detection), opting out of interest-based advertising does not stop that data from being collected. Nor does it mean you will stop getting ads or see fewer ads. However, if you do opt out, the ads you receive will no longer be interest-based and may be less relevant to your interests.
We also use web beacons to help deliver cookies and gather usage and performance data. Our websites may include web beacons and cookies from third-party service providers.
You have a variety of tools to control cookies, web beacons and similar technologies, including browser controls to block and delete cookies and controls from some third-party analytics service providers to opt out of data collection through web beacons. Your browser and other choices may impact your experiences with our products.